State and National Liaison
We act as a liaison with many state agencies including the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Public Service Commission (PSC), Department of Transportation (DOT), State Police and State Tax Department. We work closely with the American Trucking Associations on federal legislation and governmental affairs.
We maintain strong one on one contact with state and federal legislators and government leaders. We are proactive in our efforts for the benefit of our industry and members. We represent the industry on such issues as:
- Transportation laws and funding
- Environmental law
- Highway use and sales taxes
- Highway safety
- Vehicle size and weight
Education and Communication
We keep members informed of constantly changing laws and regulations to help keep them informed and aid them in holding down the cost of doing business. Some examples are:
- We constantly strive to keep members informed regarding issues affecting their businesses. For example:
- We supply a monthly newsletter, Highways & Byways and various timely bulletins throughout the year on specific issues.
- When the Legislature is in session, members receive News from Inside the Capitol legislative updates to keep them abreast of legislative activity and to aid in our grassroots efforts.
- We have a web site, www.wvtrucking.com, which supplies a vast array of information to keep members informed, as well as links to other industry sites.
Members are urged to call the WVTA office at 304.345.2800 anytime with questions concerning any matters that affect their business.
Promoting the safety or our members and the public is very important to us. Each year, we conduct a Truck Driving Championship (TDC) and hold contests for fleets safety awards and driver awards, including West Virginia Driver of the Year.
We hold an annual convention for members where they gain information at our business sessions and network with others in the industry at social functions.
With the many tough issues that our industry faces, it is important for us to have candidates in office that understand our industry. The WVTA PAC gives us the ability to donate to business friendly candidates with whom we can work in the State Legislature.
Types of Membership
Any firm, company or corporation owning or operating motor transport vehicles shall be eligible for membership in the organization.
Individuals, firms or corporations having any interest in the trucking industry shall be eligible for allied membership. Individuals, firms or corporations having no interest in the West Virginia trucking industry but desiring to be affiliated with the association for business reasons shall be eligible for non-voting participating membership.
BrickStreet Workers’ Compensation Discount Program
The West Virginia Trucking has teamed with BrickStreet Insurance to offer active WVTA members who have a good safety record a discount on their workers’ compensation premiums.
Our current discount with Brickstreet is 2.7%.
- If you can meet just a few criteria, your company can qualify for this cost savings program through WVTA. The criteria includes:
- Report claims within 48 hours of a loss;
- Achieve and maintain a loss ratio of 65% or less;
- Implement a formal Return to Work Program;
- Attend at least one safety seminar per year that applies to operational hazards or complete one on-line course through Safety Source;
- Implement BrickStreet’s 5 Step Loss Control program; and
- Be a member of the West Virginia Trucking Association.
That is all there is to the program. You continue to make your payments to BrickStreet and continue to use the agent
National Purchasing Partners (NPP)
NPP provides our members with exclusive discounts and special offers on a wide range of products and services from some of the nation’s prominent companies.
This program is free to our members and there is no obligation to purchase products or services after you sign up for your NPP membership. NPP negotiates discounted pricing from leading vendors to help save you money on everyday purchases or monthly services.
Receive significant discounts on wireless calling plans, as well as other discounts on accessories, devices, smartphones and text message plans. Eligibility requirements apply. Visit NPP to find out more and to enroll for free.
With more than 16,000 in-stock office supply products, Office Depot has an extensive variety of products and services to meet the needs of all NPP members nationwide. Click here to learn more and enroll in premier Office Depot pricing through NPP.
Staples Business Advantage
Discounted, contracted prices on over 30,000 supplies and services. Free next-day delivery on standard orders over $30. Enroll with NPP and start saving today!
Best Buy for business offers top tier pricing on over 150,000 items. Discounts vary upon item category. Enroll with NPP and start saving today!
Members are eligible to receive special pricing through NPP. Discounts starting at 10% off new or additional subscriptions. Custom pricing and rebates available for subscriptions that meet or exceed annual spend requirement. Enroll with NPP and start saving today!
Airgas is a leading single-source supplier of industrial gases, welding supplies, & safety equipment, offering top-tier pricing to NPP members. Enroll with NPP and start saving today!
Other Member Discounts
In addition to our workers’ compensation discount program, we also offer a variety of other discounts, including shipping costs with UPS, services through Vigillo and products from J. J. Keller.